14 Nov 2008

Bonjour Vietnam - Pham Quynh Anh

Pham Quynh Anh, who earned fame from the lyric “Bonjour Vietnam,” finally touched the soil of Vietnam on Monday and said “hello” to reporters in HCMC on Thursday.

She is in Vietnam to perform at a Gala Dinner in HCMC today to celebrate the European Chamber of Commerce’s (EuroCham) 10th anniversary in Vietnam before traveling to Halong Bay.


“Vietnam is different from what I thought before I arrived here,” Anh said, adding that her emotion for this country was strong when she set foot on Vietnamese soil. She said her trip to Vietnam would give her more inspiration in performing “Bonjour Vietnam”.

Anh visited District 5’s market and pagoda and some artisans. She enjoyed pho (Vietnamese noodle soup with beef or chicken) whose taste is different from the pho she eats in Europe, and Hue food specialties.

She said she was surprised at the number of motorcycles and felt confident to contact local people as they gave her a friendly look. She said she felt at home.

She went to the school where her mother used to study and took photographs to show her mother how it is now after more than 20 years. She said she hoped she would have more time to explore Vietnam when she comes back to sing more songs including one or two in Vietnamese for a wider audience instead of the limited audience at the EuroCham gala dinner.

The dinner will be joined by Vietnamese singers Hong Nhung and Duc Tuan as well as a European jazz band.

EuroCham chairman Alain Cany said it was fortunate that Anh accepted to perform at the upcoming event during her first trip, which he described “emotional” for her. Cany added that EuroCham made everything possible to bring her to Vietnam.

EuroCham is an organization which bridges Vietnam and Europe. Anh is a good choice for that mission as she grew up in European and Vietnamese cultures.

She said she would release her album next year with the participation of French popular song writer Marc Lavoine. The songs in the album are about her, Asia and Vietnam.

Anh was first known by the French-speaking community when she recorded the song “J’espere” (I hope)” by Lavoine and has toured France, Switzerland and Belgium.


This is a Vietnam's beauty slideshow (visualgui) with a soft, sweet and sensuous vocals of the young Vietnamese-Belgian Pham Quynh Anh performing "Bonjour Vietnam" a wonderful French ballad written by Marc Lavoine.



French lyric :

Bonjour Vietnam

Raconte moi ce nom étrange et difficile à prononcer
Que je porte depuis que je suis née.
Raconte moi le vieil empire et le trait de mes yeux bridés,
Qui disent mieux que moi ce que tu n'oses dire.
Je ne sais de toi que des images de la guerre,
Un film de Coppola, [et] des hélicoptères en colère ...
Un jour, j'irai là bas, un jour dire bonjour à ton âme.
Un jour, j'irai là bas [pour] te dire bonjour, Vietnam.
Raconte moi ma couleur, mes cheveux et mes petits pieds,
Qui me portent depuis que je suis née.
Raconte moi ta maison, ta rue, raconte moi cet inconnu,
Les marchés flottants et les sampans de bois.
Je ne connais de mon pays que des photos de la guerre,
Un film de Coppola, [et] des hélicoptères en colère ...
Un jour, j'irai là bas, un jour dire bonjour à mon âme.
Un jour, j'firai là bas [pour] te dire bonjour, Vietnam.
Les temples et les Boudhas de pierre pour mes pères,
Les femmes courbées dans les rizières pour mes mères,
Dans la prière, dans la lumière, revoir mes frères,
Toucher mon âme, mes racines, ma terre...
Un jour, j'irai là bas, un jour dire bonjour à mon âme.
Un jour, j'irai là bas [pour] te dire bonjour, Vietnam (2 fois)


An english version (Likeguslee)

Hello Vietnam


Tell me this name, strange and difficult to pronounce
That I have carried since my birth
Tell me the old empire and the feature of my slanted eyes
Describing me better than what you dare not say
I only know you from the war images
A Coppola movie, (and) the angry helicopters
Someday, I will go there, someday to say hello to your soul
Someday, I will go there, to say hello to you, Vietnam
Tell me my color, my hair and my small feet
That I have carried since my birth
Tell me your house, your street, tell me this unknown entity
The floating markets and the wooden sampans
I could only recognize my country from the war photos
A Coppola movie, (and) the helicopters in anger
Someday, I will go there, someday to say hello to your soul
Someday, I will go there, to say hello to you, Vietnam
The temples and the stone-carved Buddha statues for my fathers
The stooping women in the rice fields for my mothers
Praying in the light to see my brothers again
To touch my soul, my roots, my land..
Someday, I will go there, someday to say hello to your soul
Someday, I will go there, to say hello to you, Vietnam (twice)


Vietnamese Lyric :

Bản dịch tiếng Việt ca khúc Bonjour Vietnam:

Hãy kể cho tôi biết cái tên khó gọi mà tôi đã mang từ thuở sơ sinh
Hãy kể cho tôi về đất nước xa xưa và về đôi mắt xếch của tôi
đôi mắt biểu lộ lòng tôi hơn những lời không dám thốt lên
Tôi chỉ biết quê nhà qua những hình ảnh chiến tranh
Qua phim của Coppola với những chiếc trực thăng hung dữ...
Một ngày nào đó, tôi sẽ về chào hồn thiêng dân tộc
Một ngày nào đó, tôi sẽ về chào Việt Nam
Hãy kể tôi nghe về màu da, mái tóc và bàn chân nhỏ bé của tôi
Đã theo tôi từ lúc mới chào đời
Hãy kể tôi nghe về căn nhà, con đường và vùng đất tôi chưa biết
có chợ nhóm trên sông và thuyền tam bản
Tôi chỉ biết quê nhà qua những hình ảnh chiến tranh
Qua phim của Coppola với những chiếc trực thăng hung dữ...
Một ngày nào đó, tôi sẽ về chào hồn thiêng dân tộc
Một ngày nào đó, tôi sẽ về chào Việt Nam
Sẽ đi thăm những ngôi chùa, tượng phật, thay cho cha
Chào hỏi những người phụ nữ cấy lúa trên ruộng đồng, thay cho mẹ
Trong lời nguyện cầu, trong ánh sáng chan hòa, tôi sẽ gặp lại các anh em
Trở về sống với tiếng lòng, cội nguồn, với đất mẹ quê cha
Một ngày nào đó, tôi sẽ về gặp lại linh hồn của tôi
Một ngày nào đó, tôi sẽ về chào Việt Nam

No comments:

Post a Comment